Total Pageviews

Monday 8 April 2013

Chi town

What.a.cool.city.

Chicago was amazing ....... where do I start?

I stopped at hosteling internationals Chicago hostel which was of a very high standard. I was in a 10 bed dorm that was really large and airy with lovely high ceilings.  The room was set out so that each bunk had its own private space and locker. Everywhere was spotlessly clean and everyone was really friendly.  High speed broadband, breakfast and all the usual facilities were included. Other than having to share the dorm it really was as good as many hotels I have stayed in!

I also had a perfect view of the L from my window.



I decided to see the city on a hop on hop off tour - definitely the right choice.

There was so much to see, Macy's, Navy pier, the shoreline, the Willis Tower, Tiffany's, Hancock tower, the theatre district and as much as I could pack in!

Macy's the department store is in the old Marshall Fields building and indignant Chicago residents refuse to call it anything else - the famous clocks and name plaques still remain.





There is something very special about the Chicago skyline.  Somehow all the different heights and architectural styles seem to coordinate and fit together. Not sure what it is, maybe Lake Michigan reflected in so many of the glass and steel structures or maybe the colours of the buildings are aesthetically pleasing but not one building sticks out!





The tallest black building in the photo above is the Willis Tower (formerly Sears Tower) which is the tallest structure in North America.

The tower is 103 storeys high, or 283 Barrack Obamas and has a crazy observation floor called Skydeck.  Skydeck lets you step out onto a clear plastic shelf high above the city.





Now commonsense tells you that this is perfectly safe and the fact is the plastic is several inches thick.  However, there was no way my mind was going to accept any of this and i could only place one foot out onto the ledge!

Next on the agenda was a little retail therapy so off to the Magnificent Mile .......





And as recommended by Ava from Ohio I dropped in to the 'American Girl' store to check out the Nations little girl's heaven.



I also managed to get my Tea fix .........    





I finished off a very hectic 2 days with a trip around the Loop on the L.









1 comment:

  1. Ava was so excited you took her advice and stopped at the American Girl Store she said " I bet that was the best part of her entire trip" looks like you are having a great time!
    Wendi Ruhe

    ReplyDelete